Thread: Official SuperMach HiSun Chino Ongoing Review

Post Thanks / Like

Official SuperMach HiSun Chino Ongoing Review

Here are some pics of our 2009 Supermach/Hisun 500cc Rhino Clone.

We are currently breaking in our brand new 2009 Supermach UTV model. So nothing too extreme until we get some more hours of use. The user manual suggest not more than half throttle for the 1st 200 miles. We currently have put 32 miles on it so far. Seems like a bit much but we will do the break in according to the user manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Official SuperMach HiSun Chino Ongoing Review

Today we did a little easy trial riding. It now hows 50 miles on it. It seems to handle really well and so far this unit seems to be very satisfactory. As more riding and testing continues we will continue to try and keep it at no more then half throttle until we log 200 miles on it. Which should not be long.

Here are some pics of today's outing. And will be posting more so stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like

So far this machine seems to be very solid. We are still in the break in phase but have taken it on a few good trail rides, using the 4wd and the 4wd diff lock. All of which have performed flawless and with plenty of power to spare.

It seems to be pretty rough on gas mileage. We have one bar left on the fuel gauge from a full tank and have just about 100 miles on it. We did cheat a little with the break-in to see how fast it would go.

According to the MPH gauge with a single rider we were able to get the unit to 48 MPH. This is on a semi-flat paved surface. I think the max RPM it showed was 5200 RPM and the rev limiter started kickin in. The RPM may have been a bit higher. I will verify this later.

Overall it rides and handles very good.

Here are some pics of the trails we are riding the UTV on. There are plenty of them around here.

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

how are you coming along on the break in process?

Southern Hospitality

What are the best parameters for the break in period? Do not go over a speed? No mud? What would be the best? I'm new and thinking of ordering one next Tuesday

Post Thanks / Like

technically you should avoid high speeds with prolonged use at high rpms. what this will do is give the rings proper time to seat. 200 miles i believe is what the manual calls for.
    personally that is a lengthy time as we build high performance engines with over 1000hp and run them on the dyno for about 30 minutes at 3500 rpm before we make 5-10 passes and then are ready to race. Were talking high compression, very tight piston to valve clearance, 1400 cfm carbs and so on. i would say 50 miles would be plenty.

NOTE: make sure you change all fluids in the machine or you will have problems.

Post Thanks / Like

kelleymotorsports, I assume you're saying to change all fluids after break in? Hopefully pick mine up Tuesday.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

i really dont trust the engine oil that comes in the units at all. the atvs seem like they have vegetable oil in them. the differentials not sure of. either way i only warm mine up and then change it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I'll pick up oil,lube and filter on the way to pick it up.(hopefully tomorrow). Supposed to get 2 inches of rain ,figures, the day after duck season ends.

Post Thanks / Like

kellymotorsports, just fixing to change fluids in mine for first time. If i use synthetic I won't need to change again as often as the manual states? I am thinking about snorkeling mine also, do u think it would be a good or bad idea to just have one belt exhaust instead of the 2, like it has from factory? I don't know if anyone else has the problem of the dust engulfing the cab w/ the front windshield o, but there is a upholstery shop where i live that made me a really nice rear canvas windshield that u can roll up. if anyone is interested i can post some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

depending on the brand of oil, most synthetics generally can be ran twice as long as general motor oil. the ams oil we run is quite expensive but can be ran up to 3 1/2 times longer than general motor oil.

for example in your common truck you generally change oil every 3000 miles, but with ams oil and using it for light duty it can be ran up to 25000 miles or 1 year (with the proper oil filter, or you still need to change the filter every 3000 yet) for severe duty applications you can run it up to 15000 miles.

hope this answers your question

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, thanks it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just tried to change fluids in my 800 rzr/rhino clone. Couldn't budge the drain bolt on engine so I moved to transmission, got it. The manual doesn't tell u where Dipstick is for trans. I'm assuming that's it right under the tip of cvt exhaust that goes to rear. The manual says it holds 2 qts. I put almost 2 in and it filled it all the way to top , way past the full level on Dipstick. Is that going to cause problems? Also, how in the world do u fill the front diff?

scottsmach03

Dipstick is on top of the transmission, you will have to feel around for it. What i did to fill the front is jack the front of the utv up just a little so you can get a little more fluid in. Take a allen wrench and remove the top plug, you can see it through the drivers side wheel well. Then remove the bottom plug and drain. After it drains plug it up and then fill it until it starts pouring out the fill hole. It doesnt take much.

Post Thanks / Like

In what position are you guys running the shocks, mine came set on the least compression notch. Have you guys messed around at all with them? And when are the videos comming??
    2011 Supermach 500cc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supergrover
    In what position are you guys running the shocks, mine came set on the least compression notch. Have you guys messed around at all with them? And when are the videos comming??
    have not messed with the shocks a lot. running our demo on second setting and seems to work best.

Quote Originally Posted by sdj 800utv
    Ok, just tried to change fluids in my 800 rzr/rhino clone. Couldn't budge the drain bolt on engine so I moved to transmission, got it. The manual doesn't tell u where Dipstick is for trans. I'm assuming that's it right under the tip of cvt exhaust that goes to rear. The manual says it holds 2 qts. I put almost 2 in and it filled it all the way to top , way past the full level on Dipstick. Is that going to cause problems? Also, how in the world do u fill the front diff?
    had the same issue with the engine oil drain plug on ours as well. not sure what my brother did but he eventually got it free. to fill the transmission we just removed the box. a little work but makes the job slicker than hell. i'm sure you have this done by now but just so others know. i personally would remove some of the oil to have it at the proper level. to much oil could cause it to foam due to excess hitting against moving parts.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, I got it changed. Thanks. R u changing the oil filter...if so what filter are you using? I called Big Muddy and Bob said they just clean the oem.

Post Thanks / Like

i will double check but i believe it was a kn-152

k&n part # kn-152 is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

On the oil plugs. Mine was tight too. I used a six point socket and a impact. There was no other way i could get it loose. Make sure u push on the back of the impact hard so it doesn't strip the aluminum out. Also make dang sure your impact is going in the right direction you probably would pull all the wrinkles off "That's machinist talk for threads". LOL. Hopefully this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

does any one know who makes the engine for the Hisun 400 500 and 700? is it just Hisun or a better known manufacturer? thanks for the info and this site.

Senior Member IronRangeWheelers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's made by Hisun.

Post Thanks / Like

Copied 100% from yamaha . I actually put a chino head ,cam, and oil pump on a 660 rhino . 1/3 the cost of Yamaha
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

David.p.ledetsr

Does anyone know what kind of sensor is under the drivers seat. I put a bag and small tool kit under the drivers seat for storage. While riding trails the bike killed. After an hour or so the only way it would start again was for me to turn this sensor. So I took out the bag. It killed again riding on the trail so I removed the tool box, turned the sensor again and it started. It did not kill the rest of the day. I looked in the manual and could not find out what this thing is?????? Any clues?

Senior Member AffordableSideBySides's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like an ignition coil. That is about all that is there. Maybe a loose connection?
    The Maine dealer for HiSun Powersports Products.

Post Thanks / Like

I just pm'd you , affordable is correct
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

27. Thanks Freemdcf thanked for this post
    Likes Freemdcf liked this post
    Dislikes Freemdcf disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got our 2012 Hisun 500cc Super Mach about three weeks ago crated, it was drop shipped from California. Since there
    is no dealers close by for Hisun or only options was to order online and have it shipped. I would define close by
    as within 10 to 150 miles away . It did have some ruff handling along the way. That would be one very big reason
    to get an assembled unit from a dealer, if you don't want to deal with kind of thing. Another is there is no assembly
    instruction included, well there is a DVD with some Hisun factory workers assembling an older model. It did have some
    helpfully information but overall it's not that good. It is also in the box that is under the seat to you have to do
    most of the crate un assembly to get to it. We had the crate delivered to our house via a lift gate truck, the whole crate
    does fit on the lift gate. But that depends on the type of truck delivering the crate.

Although BJ from Riders Wholesale does have some what of a bad reputation here, his assembly video's on u-tube were very helpfully. But
    they are out of date. There appears to be several new features and changes for 2012 that are not covered in any video's.

If you have never installed springs on a motor cycle engine exhaust before. You will need a tool or something to get them
    in place. With an exhaust spring tool it was easy but, they seem shorter then they should be. In our case I had a old body
    hook for pulling out dents on sheet metal for cars, I adapted to use to get the springs installed. The parts manual does not show
    these, it has the older style clamps.

I know a lot of you are tempted to use a fork lift to raise the UTV to work on. Don't do it that is very dangerous If you are
    going to work on A UTV the get the correct lifting devices. We have an A frame with a chain hoist that we use and jack stands.
    Once you have the wheels you don't really need to use jacks and wheel stand.

The only other item that caused us some grief was the protector for the bed release handle, none of the videos cover
    where it goes or what it is. I finally found it in the parts manual under the carrier diagram item 7.

The 2012 we got, has the street kit on it I have no idea if this is standard now or a add on. Turn singles, horn,
    reflectors, emergence lights, these came all pre installed on the column. The license plate holder and light had to be installed.
    There is also a storage add-ons and cup holder installed. One item I didn't like was the "arm rest" for the seats.
    It makes it hard for us older people to get in and out of the UTV. For rite now we aren't going to be using it as a trail machine
    they aren't needed to keep you in the seat. If you are going to be doing some hard core trail riding you need to have roll bar
    padding and a four point harness installed.

It did come with a fold down windshield but it has the wrong center cutout, and it about 1 to 2 inches to wide to be installed as is.
    After doing some research it appear the windshield would fit a Rino but not a Hisun Super mach.

When you are assembling the UTV, the oxygen sensor is only hand tight, this was done so you can get the exhaust pipes and
    muffler installed. Make sure you install and route the wires correctly, I strongly suggest using anti-seize compound on the threads.
    as in other EFI system I have worked on the oxygen sensor is usually the first item that will need replaced.

After starting the engine and letting it run for a bit, to heat up the oil we changed it with synthetic. Which is what
    is recommended by all the dealers here, I highly recommend that is done. You might also consider replacing the differential oil,
    we didn't but I can see where hard trail riding could break it down. The next thing is that the shifter linkage
    must be adjusted there is a video on u-tube on how to do this so I won't go into details here.

Once we had all that we could assembled we started it up and ran it for about an hour for the initial engine break in.
    As we backed it out of the shop for a test drive it took a lot of throttle to get it to move. This was because the hand
    brake pads are slightly over sized when new and there is a lot of resistance until they are worn in.

I also don't like the placement of the ignition coil, it's under the drivers seat. since that is where I would use as a storage compartment
    there is a high risk that the coil may be damaged. Towards the engine side of this compartment is open. Anything placed in this
    compartment could get into the engine area and tear up wiring or break something. I look like I will be relocating the coil and making
    a panel for here. You also need to remove the seat to get into the compartment so its use is limited to items that you may not need
    all the time.

The manuals are for earlier models that do not have the street kit installed so the light and horn controls are shown on the dash not
    the steering wheel column. When you look at the fuel section, page 5-4 it explicitly says not to use "Gasohol". There is
    also a decal under the fuel filler that says something similar. "Gasohol" term hasn't been used in a number of years. Today
    it's ethanol that is added, but if it's not marked on the pump that just means there is less then 1%. Also
    when I went into town none of the three places I stopped at has any percent of ethanol marked on the pumps. The only potential
    problem would be that the valve seats and valve are not hardened. Since gas with ethanol burns a bit hooter the regular gas.
    Yes it does mess with the EFI unit a little, but if that bothers you should have gotten a electric golf cart.

Our main intention for the UTV is to get around our property and ground maintenance, most of the land is pretty flat. We are looking at the
    Koplins dirtworks 3 point hitch to add but haven't gotten it yet. I haven't found any reviews for this being attached to a Hisun.
    So after looking over the rear hitch I do have some doubts about it's strength and may need to do some reinforcing there. There is also
    a lack of ways to attach and carry tools, mostly because this designed for the trail not property and ground maintenance.

Although I don't have much experience with dirt bikes, 3 wheeler, or 4 wheels, I do have a lot of experience with 4x4, 6x6 and larger
    off road vehicles and other vehicles. For years I collect and restored antique military vehicles and drove them off road.

Post Thanks / Like

Image os the 2012 Hisun

It was dropped shipped from US Titan in California.
    3_4_view.jpg
    3/4 view from the front
    dash.jpg
    The dash, the taper here is causing problems with the windshield fit
    dash_2.jpg
    View of the dirver side dash
    dash_3.jpg
    close up of taper
    front.jpg
    Close up of front

Post Thanks / Like

More photo's

100_3136.jpg
    Damage to shipping crate

100_3141.jpg
    Damage to shipping crate

100_3155.jpg
    Part if the windshield problem

gas_filler.jpg
    gas filler

gas_warning.jpg
    Gas Warning

Post Thanks / Like
    homemade_tool.jpg
    DIY Exhaust spring hock

homemade_tool_2.jpg
    DIY Exhaust spring hock

hood_model.jpg
    Hood model info

lisc_hold.jpg
    Licenses pate holder

Post Thanks / Like
    rear.jpg
    Rear Suspension

storage.jpg
    Drink Holder and storage

taillights.jpg
    Rear lights

under_driver_seat.jpg
    Under seat storage, I don't like the coil here or the open side.

Post Thanks / Like
    i put the windshield clamp around the roll cage and then set the windshield on top of the clamp. not putting the clamp around the entire windshield. thats where your issue is. good write up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I was going by the only video I could find on u-tube on assembly. They had a full windshield not the fold down.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I could not wait and tried what Kelley suggested.

finished.jpg
    Although there is some gap it's not nearly as bad as before. Considering it a UTV i think it ended up pretty good.

new_wind_try_clamp.jpg
    I did have to use a set of welding clamps to get the clamp closed so i could get the bolt in

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good, little gap is better than not working

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a open rear diff.on this unit kellymotorsports?

Post Thanks / Like
    the 500/700 are a locked rear diff. the 800 is the only option for the "turf saver" mode the odes is also a locked rear diff