Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ODES 800 UTV Review

Post Thanks / Like

ODES 800 UTV Review

OK guys, well I said I would start a new thread and I will. I have gotten the machine put together and running today. Assembly was a snap and I went through everything good and didn't find much of anything loose. I changed out all the oils and put in Amsoil in everything. The only issue I had was that the windshield came cracked so I sent the dealer and email asking about it.

First off, this UTV is massive. It seems bigger than the Hisun and I think it is. From what I can tell they used the same design, but widened where the cage portion is. I think they may have done this to fit the engine. It looks like it has long travel a-arms and they are VERY stout. I would like to take some measurements and compare to the Hisun. The shocks are 19 inches long from hole to hole, but very stiff. Here are a few pics to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ODES 800 UTV

The machine started right up and runs good. It sounds like my Outlander. The one thing I need to do it try to find a spark arrestor for it. If anyone has and ideas, let me know. The outlet of the muffler is 1.5". I am hoping I can find something to weld or clamp on. From looking at the engine, there is no doubt this motor is a Can-am clone. There are a few things they left off but for the most part it is exactly the same. The nice thing about this one is that it uses a closed loop efi system with O2 sensors and the original does not. This one should run a little better at altitude. I am really hoping I can find a cage extension that will fit this or I am not sure what I will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ODES 800 UTV Review

Ok had some more time to play around with it, in between laying cement in my basement. I noticed that the gear selection light was not matching up with what it was actually in. I had to adjust that and it looks good now. Got to do a couple more warm up and cool downs on the engine to get it broken in. I took a bunch of measurements today too. The rear a-arm mount dimensions appear to be the same as the Hi-sun and Yamaha, 16.75" apart top, 14.75" apart bottom and 5.25" from top to bottom. I measured the lower a-arm lengths and the rear is 17.25" from bolt to bolt and the front lower a-arm is 18 from bolt to end. The shock length is 19" bolt to bolt.
    I also forgot to mention that the machine came with a 3500lb OEM Mile Marker winch. Seems like a nice winch.
    As far as I can tell, the rear diff is very similar to the Rhino diff. The front diff I have not been able to figure out, but it has an electric actuator on it and the diff lock works great.
    For anyone looking to snorkel this machine, it should be a piece of cake.
    I was looking at taking off the CVT cover, but this looks like an involved job. There are some side panels that need to come off and it looks like the gas tank may have to come out to get it off. I will save that for another day. This engine has a bunch more pollution control on it than the Can-am and also has a catalytic converter.

Last thing, the ground clearance while sitting in my garage is 13.5" in the front and 12.5" in the rear. The shocks are so stiff, I am not not sure you will have to worry about loosing much clearance due to weight or sag. So far so good. I also sent some emails off to Rhino Giant and UTV Inc to see if I can get a custom cage extension.

Respected Member kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like one hell of a machine! can't wait to see some video footage of it. May have to just get one ordered in myself!!!

Senior Member IronRangeWheelers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

THAT THING IS A BEAST!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

can you get any pics of the front diff, showing diff lock actuator motor location and such. also i have the capability to get these units from my supplier as well. parts i would question but i bet most will be the same as the hisun models. thinking about ordering one in.....

Post Thanks / Like

Sure will do tonight. Anything else you want to see?

Post Thanks / Like

anything you have questions on that may be the same as a hisun.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of the front diff, please let us know if this is like the Hisun or something else.

Post Thanks / Like

it is setup different than the hisun front diff. same concept and looks like the same electric motor but different location

Post Thanks / Like

Does it look like any of the big OEM's?? I kinda see the resemblance to the early Rhino version. Might be it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

still a little different i believe

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, ROTAX YOUR RHINO guys are going to be mad.They spent $5-6000 to swarp their engines in a used rhino.I like this utv so far,very nice looking machine.Could you give me a true measurement of the outside wheel(tires) width.Seems that all specs I've seen on this utv are different.Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

ya sucks to be them. i can get these units for roughly 450 more than the hisun units. some parts are available but i wouldn't count on everything. just need to get things crossed and worst came buy a "name brand" part if need to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    LOL, ROTAX YOUR RHINO guys are going to be mad.They spent $5-6000 to swarp their engines in a used rhino.I like this utv so far,very nice looking machine.Could you give me a true measurement of the outside wheel(tires) width.Seems that all specs I've seen on this utv are different.Thanks.
    It is 60" from outside tire to outside tire.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Another update, got the cage extension and seat set ordered today. Also found a Universal Supertrapp IDS2 with the quiet core and USFS spart arrestor and got that on order. Last thing is I got some header wrap to wrap the pipe from the engine to the muffler. I know from experience these motors put out some heat, so I think that will be very beneficial.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

can you get some video of the original exhaust sound before you switch it? just curious to see how loud it is or if it sounds similar to the 800 hisun.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, it is not very loud, but it has no spark arrestor on it so that is the main reason I am switching it out. This Quiet Core is supposed to meet the regs so we will see.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

still be interesting to hear

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no problem, I will take some video of it.

Also, if you end up a dealer for these, see if you can get a service manual for it. I talked to the dealer I bought from and he said they would only sell the manual to repair centers, which I think is dumb.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

well i technically can already get them just never have just found that out yesterday. i will follow up and see if they have the service manuals or if they can get their hands on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madbare
    Yeah, no problem, I will take some video of it.

Also, if you end up a dealer for these, see if you can get a service manual for it. I talked to the dealer I bought from and he said they would only sell the manual to repair centers, which I think is dumb.

Steve
    It's job security.
    2011 Hisun 700 utv, black

Post Thanks / Like

Ha!
    I actually meant the factory would only sell to the repair centers. The dealer said even he couldn't get them since he was not a repair center. He said he would sell to me if he could get them, but ODES won't sell them to him. I sent an email off to the factory to see what they say.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I just want to let you know I am still here, but am waiting on the parts yet. Most of it should be here this week, but I will not probably be able to do anything until next week. I have some family in town until Sunday so it kinda puts a hamper on things this week. Plus it has been snowing everyday for the last 10 days with more to come. I can say I am really tired of snow at this point!

;D
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

have you been able to ride the unit much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports
    have you been able to ride the unit much?
    No I haven't. We have way too much snow on the ground yet to take it for a long ride. With the amount of snow we have I am willing to bet it will be awhile before a lot of the roads up higher are open. Believe me, it is killing me not being able to ride it!!

Post Thanks / Like

oh come on don't let the snow stop you ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got to spend some time in the garage last night. Spent most of the night fighting to get the lexan window in the moulding. The orginal glass window was cracked when it arrived so they refunded me $100 and I brought the glass to a plastics shop and they cut me a piece of Polycarbonate to put in its place. Well after fighting with it for more time than I am willing to admit, I got it in place.

Adam, I took a video of the stock exhaust for you and will try to get it up this week. I removed the muffler, but the way they have the pipe bent the Supertrapp does not fit directly on the pipe where the stock fit. I fiddled with it for some time and believe that I will need to cut the pipe just before the Cat (who needs that anyways? Ha!) and mount the new silencer and connect the 2 with a piece of flex pipe. The pipe has a slight downward bend after the 2 headers come together and if it was bent up slightly it would fit, but the way it is the silencer hits the rear diff because of that. I am going to run out at lunch and get what I need and try to wrap that up tonight. I did fit the silencer on the cat although it wasnt mounted properly, just to see how it sounded and it really wasnt much louder than stock, which I am pleased with. I'll video that when it is fully mounted.

I also got to unwrap the cage extension and it looks nice. I just fit the bumper brackets up to the frame to see how they would fit and it should be no issue with mounting or clearance. So after the exhaust is mounted I will attack that next.

So far so good!

Adam, any luck with a manual? Got any units on order?

Steve ;D

Post Thanks / Like

You could have bought a spark arrester for a Cub Cadet Volunteer that just clamps to the tail pipe for a few dollars and not worry about throwing the fuel injection map off causing some drivability issues. Just my 2 cents
    My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got to spend some time in the garage last night. Spent most of the night fighting to get the lexan window in the moulding. The orginal glass window was cracked when it arrived so they refunded me $100 and I brought the glass to a plastics shop and they cut me a piece of Polycarbonate to put in its place. Well after fighting with it for more time than I am willing to admit, I got it in place.

Adam, I took a video of the stock exhaust for you and will try to get it up this week. I removed the muffler, but the way they have the pipe bent the Supertrapp does not fit directly on the pipe where the stock fit. I fiddled with it for some time and believe that I will need to cut the pipe just before the Cat (who needs that anyways? Ha!) and mount the new silencer and connect the 2 with a piece of flex pipe. The pipe has a slight downward bend after the 2 headers come together and if it was bent up slightly it would fit, but the way it is the silencer hits the rear diff because of that. I am going to run out at lunch and get what I need and try to wrap that up tonight. I did fit the silencer on the cat although it wasnt mounted properly, just to see how it sounded and it really wasnt much louder than stock, which I am pleased with. I'll video that when it is fully mounted.

I also got to unwrap the cage extension and it looks nice. I just fit the bumper brackets up to the frame to see how they would fit and it should be no issue with mounting or clearance. So after the exhaust is mounted I will attack that next.

So far so good!

Adam, any luck with a manual? Got any units on order?

Steve ;D

no luck yet on the service manual of course. this is what sucks about odes! i am waiting for the hyosung unit to arrive

Post Thanks / Like

Adam, got the pipe and silencer installed tonight. It actually went well. Cutting off the pipe right before the cat was key. Then connected the pipe to silencer with some of the flex pipe. Then used some high temp silicone rubber and used that metal plumbers tape and mounted the silencer. Seems to be solid. I'll get some video and pics up later this week. Tomorrow I will start on the cage extension!

I just noticed there is an Odes section now, so any mods feel free to move these threads to the new forum.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed there is an Odes section now, so any mods feel free to move these threads to the new forum.

Steve
    maybe i dont want too..

IRW

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, ya just couldn't resist?

Post Thanks / Like

hey if you noticed something that should be moved just PM me and ill look into it...

IRW

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I got the Cage extension on tonight. It actually went easier than I thought. I was able to improvise and not need to make any brackets or spacers. What I ended up doing was swapping the top bars from side to side and rotate them and run a big bolt through the stock cross brace to the extension. I then had to redrill the hole for each side brace since it was rotated 90 degrees. All in all it was pretty simple and it worked like a charm. I didn't end up needing the extra cross brace I bought afterall. So tomorrow the seat will go in and I will start wrapping things up so I can take it on a good test run. I can tell you I have also been fiddling with the gear linkage. I know from my Outlander that these transmissions are very picky how the linkage is adjusted and the Odes is no different. I have had to shorten the linkage a bit and file some of the indents on the selector plate and looks like I am getting it dialed in nicely...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cage came out nice.Those 800's sound strong even stock.

Post Thanks / Like

that sounds pretty good. still love the sound of the 800 muffler on the hisun. i bet it will sound better when you get the clip with the aftermarket exhaust on.

cage extension looks great! at least you didn't have much modifications to do.

Massimo800

what is the whole exhaust wrapped in? buy that from auto parts store like what they use to wrap headers with? not to familiar with it. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo800
    what is the whole exhaust wrapped in? buy that from auto parts store like what they use to wrap headers with? not to familiar with it. thanks.
    Yeah it is header wrap. I used 1" wide stuff. I got a roll 50' long from Summit Racing for $20. These motors put out a lot of heat and should help keep the temps down in the compartment.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys, got the rear seat and harnesses in tonight. Here are a couple quick pics. Also shot a quick video of the Supertrapp exhaust.
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video...13115&comments

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty slick!
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like

nice............ sweet sounding........If we had a THUMBS UP ICON I would give you a couple. :

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Great!
    Sounds real nice.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. 8)

Post Thanks / Like

that is sweet sounding. now you really get that v-twin thump! good to see the project all done, now get out and have some fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I will take some better pictures outside this weekend. Only thing left to do it mount the windshield and put the top back on. I am hoping to take it for a spin this weekend and see how far I can get back before I hit all the snow...

;D

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Adam is our first Hero.....

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of pics I took outside this weekend. I ended up taking the windshield and top back off. I like to ride with a more open feeling. With them attached it felt to enclosed for my liking. I may have the wife sew up a soft top for it.
    ;D

Post Thanks / Like

the more i look at it, it looks more like the bms unit we just received in.